Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DNA/Surname search





Genealogy tip for the day: DNA/Surname Search

I just discovered something new on my Ancestry.com DNA page. I'm sure it's been there all along. When you learn something new, it takes a while to take it all in. This is probably the case here. I am beginning to see how to navigate around all the results: new, favorites, hints/matches, etc.

Last night I was reviewing my results to see if there was anything new. In the upper right corner I found the option to search matches (by surname)! ! WOO  HOO. Yes! I can pull up only the surname matches I am interested in. So I typed in the name TRASK - the one I am most interested in, probably because that is what got me hooked on genealogy and still is unsolved beyond the 6th generation. Now I had a list of possible matches that included the name Trask. (Depending on the possible match they would include also other common surnames with each possible match.)

Click on the oval box that says 'search matches' and it will take you to a field where you can type in the surname and or location you are interested in. This greatly enhances your search through the potential list of cousins. You can zero in on just one line or surname and not have to wade through all of them. What a great time-saving feature!

If you have had your DNA done by Ancestry and don't know this little trick, look it up the next time you sign in. It saves you having to dig through all the results just to find the ones you are most interested in.


“History is who we are; Genealogy is who I am” sg



Like what you read? Let us know. We won't bother you, we just would like to know you're there. :-)





 

Today’s Recipe
April – Tomato Month





Ingredients

  • 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 10 ounce short pasta noodles such as cavatelli, penne or rigatoni
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  •  

Preparation

1. In a bowl, toss tomatoes, olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic and salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes or as package label directs. Drain pasta and place in bowl with tomatoes. Add Parmesan, if desired, and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately



Apr 1st   Caprese Stacks
Apr 18th Semi Homemade Tomato Soup





ENJOY!

Now You Know!




No comments:

Post a Comment